This website uses cookies to function correctly.
You may delete cookies at any time but doing so may result in some parts of the site not working correctly.


WelcomeRegisteringConfidentialityAppointment BookingServicesChargesAbuseAppointment Advice

Welcome to Guildowns Group Practice

Guildowns Group Practice is a large NHS practice, running four sites within the Guildford area. For students, Guildowns University Medical Centre is located opposite Millenium House in University Court near the East (City) entrance of the University (near the Park and Ride). Please explore our website for more information.

For dental treatment or eyesight tests, please consult a dentist or optician respectively. You can find opticians and NHS dentists in Guildford on the NHS Choices website. For dental problems, there is also the emergency dental helpline via 111 (available 24hrs every day).

As a special service for students at the University of Surrey, we also accept e-mail to Guildowns University Medical Centre ( but please be aware that e-mail is not secure and we cannot respond with patient confidential information.

Registering with Guildowns

steth_keyb1Registering with an NHS doctor may be low on your list of priorities, but you never know when you may need us. Please remember that when you register with Guildowns, you register with the Practice. We cannot guarantee you will see a particular doctor.

 If you are a UK student or a student from overseas studying in the UK for more than 6mths, you can register with us if you will be living on campus, or in Guildford within our practice area.

The easiest way to register is once you know your student number, pre-register on-line at

Remember to bring your student ID to your first appointment if you are a UK national and your student ID plus your BRP if you are an international student. Please be aware that when registering on line you are consenting for us to check with the University registry that you are a student.

Alternatively, you can complete the questionnaire below and bring it to the health centre along with proof of identity, proof of address/student card. The proof of identity and address are an NHS requirement that we are obliged to enforce.

Download Patient Health Questionnaire

If you will be living outside the practice area then you can find your nearest GP surgery on the NHS choices website.

By registering with us, we will be able to transfer your medical notes from your existing NHS doctor.

Unfortunately we are unable to register staff from the University of Surrey at the University medical centre.

Non NHS Patients

If you are an overseas student and studying in the UK for 6 months or less, we are happy to treat you as a private patient. Our charges can be provided by reception.


As you would expect from an NHS practice, your confidentiality is paramount to us. We will not pass any information to the University without your express agreement. For more privacy you may prefer to book an appointment at another of our surgeries.

If you wish, you may bring a chaperone to your appointment.

Booking an Appointment

Please consult the list of problems in the "Appointment advice" section of our website, to see who you need to consult at the medical centre - this is also available at reception. Our nurses can deal with many problems and if needed refer you on to the doctor.

All appointments are bookable in person at reception or you can call:

Internal extension 2072 - this is a direct line to the Medical Centre and does not have call queuing.

OR, if you cannot get through on ext 2072, then please phone us on

01483 409309

Our 01483 number has call queuing and will be re-routed when the surgery is closed.

Once registered, please ask at reception for a print out of your personalised online booking code, you can then book GP appointments via the internet.

Some urgent appointments are released on the day. Once these have been filled, we can offer GP telephone consultations and on some days nurse telephone triage. We can then either deal with your enquiry over the telephone or book an appropriate appointment for you.

Please remember to cancel your appointment if you don’t need it, so someone else may use it.

If you give us your mobile number when you register, we will try to text you to confirm your appointment and to remind you the evening before. This service is not guaranteed. Please remember to inform reception if you change your address or telephone number.


We provide a range of services to students, some of which are provided by our trained nurses. To help you decide who you should contact first, please click here for appointment

When we are closed

clock2For advice when we are closed, phone 111 for 24 hour advice, available 7 days a week.

If you need to see a doctor when the medical centre is closed, you can telephone either

  1. our main surgery number (you will be redirected to the out of hours service) or 
  2. dial 111

Click here to download a free ap which has useful health advice. There is also some good advice on Patient UK.

Accidents and Emergencies

The Royal Surrey County Hospital also provides an Accident and Emergency (A&E) service. Please use this only for true accidents and emergencies.

Centre of Wellbeing

Surrey University has a Wellbeing centre which provides counselling and emotional support for a wide range of mental health problems.

Details can be found on their website


As an NHS patient, we will not charge you for a normal consultation, but we will apply standard NHS fees where applicable. We will also charge for additional services that we provide and are not covered by the NHS. This includes, but is not exclusive to:

  1. Tutor notes
  2. Medicals
  3. Insurance forms
  4. Accommodation letters
  5. Parking permit requests

The list of fees can be provided at reception. To reduce our costs – and consequently the fee to you – we ask for payment in advance and will give you a receipt on payment. We aim to have letters processed and sent within seven working days.


We appreciate that it can stressful when you are unwell. However we do expect that you are polite to our staff, and we expect our staff to be polite to you. If we fail, please let us know, so that we can correct the situation. We reserve the right to withdraw service to patients who are rude or abusive to our staff.

Appointment advice

  • For self help advice and general health information please visit Patient UK
  • A pharmacist is also a useful source of information and can provide basic medications for minor illnesses. There are several local pharmacies near the University, you can find your nearest on the NHS choices website.
  • Please consult the list of problems below to see who you need to consult at the medical centre. Our nurses can deal with many common problems and if needed, they will refer you on to the doctor.


Visit a pharmacy for information and treatment if your symptoms are mild. If symptoms persist for more than 4 days, make a nurse appointment.

Sore throats

Visit a pharmacy for information and treatment if your symptoms are mild. If symptoms persist for more than 3 days, make a nurse appointment.

Chest coughs

If you have asthma or another respiratory condition, please make an appointment with a GP. If you feel breathless then ask for an urgent appointment, or call 999 if you have severe shortness of breath/chest pain. Otherwise make a nurse appointment.


Ear pain or blocked ears - please make a nurse appointment

Hay fever/Sinus problems

Visit a pharmacy for information and treatment - over the counter medications may be cheaper than prescription medication. Make a GP appointment if symptoms persist.

Eye infection/problems

If conjunctivitis (sticky eyes), visit a pharmacy for advice and treatment. Otherwise make a nurse appointment. If you have eye pain or problems with your vision, please ask for a same day GP appointment.

Minor injuries

Make a nurse appointment.


If you know or suspect you are pregnant, make a nurse appointment promptly for advice.

Cystitis (urine symptoms)


If you have discomfort when passing urine or have to pass urine more often than usual, please make a nurse appointment. Our nurses can treat urine infections when they first occur. If you have already been treated by a nurse, and your symptoms persist, please make an appointment with GP for further treatment and tests.  If you have general genitourinary symptoms (vaginal discharge or irritation), make a nurse appointment for advice and referral.


Make an appointment with a GP.


Bookable appointments for our nurse-led dedicated contraception clinics are available via reception. Otherwise for:

  • General contraceptive/sexual health advice, make a routine nurse appointment
  • Oral contraceptive pill and related queries, make a routine nurse appointment (if a first prescription from us, then please make specialist nurse appointment)
  • Implanon (implant), make an appointment for discussion with a specialist nurse
  • IUD/IUS (coil), make an appointment for discussion with a GP
  • Emergency contraception (e.g. "morning after pill") make an urgent same day appointment with a nurse or GP
  • When needing to go the University Health Centre please print and complete the form (below) and your enter weight/height and your blood pressure reading from the machine in the waiting room

contraception repeat form July 2018

Repeat pill request Flow Chart July 2018

Sexual Health

The Buryfields GUM clinic in Guildford offers free and confidential screening and treatment for all sexual health issues. Appointments and walk-in clinics are available - details can be found on their website.

Cervical Smears

If you are aged over 25 years old, a smear is recommended every 3 years. Please make an appointment with the nurse for a smear test. 

Abdominal pain/Stomach upset

Make a nurse appointment if your symptoms are mild. If returning for a review, or if your symptoms are worsening, please make a GP appointment.


Make an appointment with nurse promptly. Please note the urgent advice about meningitis below though.

Smoking cessation

Please make an appointment with a specialist nurse - you have a better chance of stopping smoking, if you have support from one of our trained nurses.


Meningitis can present in many ways but symptoms include:

Fever, vomiting, neck stiffness, dislike of bright light, severe headache, rash which doesn’t fade on pressing. If you think you or a friend may have meningitis, seek medical help immediately.

Meningitis ACWY

If you need a Meningitis ACWY vaccine (recommended if you have not had one before) - please make a nurse appointment.

Tutor notes

Please refer to the main University of Surrey website regarding mitigating circumstances that would meet the criteria for a medical note. Please be aware that there is a charge for this service, and you will need to complete a form at reception for a tutor note request. The fee payable for verifying extenuating circumstances (tutor notes) will be £20 from 1st August 2016. This is due to the £10 subsidy from the University ending. If you need financial help, please contact Student Advice who can advise on hardship funds. Please note you must discuss your application with a GP or nurse, prior to completing the request form.

The fee for accommodation and parking applications will also be £20 from 1st August 2016.

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website